Figuring out how to rank high in Google can be difficult to say the least. Doing it without backlinks? Is that even possible?
What if I’m a complete newbie?
We’re going to take a look at how to not only rank in Google without backlinks, but also figure out how to do it in a consistent and repeatable way.
Let’s dive right in!
What is ranking in Google?
Ranking in Google is getting your post to the top of Google’s search engine when someone types in a specific keywords in the search bar. In order to rank high and be on the first page of results you need to optimize your content.
This is called Search Engine Optimization (SEO). SEO is all about optimizing the articles or posts on your blog to for Google’s search engine (hence, the name).
In particular, you should always write your blog posts with the user’s search intent in mind.
So, if you write a post about the best WordPress plugins then people will more than likely be looking for a list post that outlines the top plugins.
Here are a few of my favorite resources for learning SEO:
- Income School YouTube Channel
- Neil Patel’s Blog
- Ahrefs Website Authority Checker
Wanna know what tools I use to run my blog and design my entire site?
Go here for my entire guide on how to start a blog from scratch using the exact tools I’ve used to build my own blog.
What are backlinks?
Backlinks are external links back to your site. If another website owner sees your content and finds it as a valuable resource, then they may link back to that specific page on your site from their own blog.
It’s commonly known in the SEO world that the more backlinks you have the higher your domain authority is in the eyes of Google. In particular, dofollow backlinks which simply tell Google to use that backlink for ranking purposes. If it was a nofollow backlink, then Google would not boost the ranking of your site in the search engine.
Backlinks are hard to come by when you’re starting out and building a new website, so I wanted to highlight a few key things that help you rank without them which we’ll get to shortly here.
What’s the difference between an authority site and niche site?
An authority site is a very high quality site that is respected in an industry. The content is useful and the site is therefore share-worthy with others.
The Dangers Of Backlinking For SEO
One video I found that I thought was really useful talked about the dangers of backlinking. Give it a watch below.
Google’s Ultimate Goal (#1 Ranking Factor)
So, what is Google’s ultimate goal with their search engine?
Well, it’s to show as relevant of content as possible for the search query that was typed in. This means that instead of backlinks being the most important ranking factor, it’s actually the relevancy of the article and consequently how a user behaves on your site.
Do they land on your site and quickly hit bounce away because the article wasn’t what they were looking for? Did they view additional pages on your site while there?
These are some of the most important questions that you want to tackle head on with every post that you write.
Here’s a cool video that explains in detail what relevancy is all about.
7 Ways To Rank High In Google Without Backlinks
- Find Low Competition Keywords: By writing content for low competition keywords, you inherently have a better chance of ranking on the first page of Google. This is done by finding long-tail keywords (multiple words) and writing articles centered around the topic and answering related questions.
- High Quality Content (Long-Form Content): When I say long-form content, I mean a minimum of 1,000 words give or take. The more words you have on the page the better the chance you have of Google seeing something it believes should rank you higher for a specific keyword. You can write shorter articles, but you’ll want to make sure you’re targeting lower competition keywords when doing so.
- Relevant Content: You need relevant content. How do you do this? By knowing the keyword you’re focusing on and tailoring your post specifically to what you believe is the user’s search intent. Take a look at the top sites already ranking for that keyword to get a better idea of what Google believes is the search intent.
- Re-Publish Content: The cool part about blog posts is that you can easily republish the content on other blogging platforms. A few examples are Medium and Blogger. This helps to get your content more reach and you can link back to your main blog as well.
- Social Media Promotion: Just about everyone is on social media these days on a regular basis. Whether it’s Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest there’s many different avenues of re-purposing your content to a wider audience.
- Build An Email List: Your email list is one of the few things that you truly own as a business. It’s critical that you take the time to setup optin forms and popups on your blog to capture user info. Then you just need to integrate with an autoresponder to push people back to your site for more as you produce new content! Here’s what I use: Thrive Leads and ActiveCampaign.
- Setup Push Notifications: You know that little notifications popup that appears when you visit certain sites. Well, they’re taking advantage of push notifications and for good reason. In a similar manner to your email list, you’ll be growing a following and subscriber base for your blog. Now, all you need to do is send out a notification and get traffic right away. I personally use PushEngage for push notifications.
What’s the best part about search engine traffic?
The lifetime of a single piece of content is YEARS. This is why it’s so powerful because you get targeted traffic that’s on the verge of buying from you and you’ll only have to put in the work once. This produces something quite magical: A Scalable Business.
The Ultimate List Of Recurring Affiliate Programs
Another thing that you can check out is my list of over 130+ monthly recurring affiliate programs. In terms of affiliate programs, monthly recurring revenue is pretty sweet. You can download my compiled list for free using the button below.😉
Model Others For True Long-Term Success
It’s never a good idea to try and ignore other leaders and top earners in your niche. On the contrary, you should be devouring their content and marketing genius and implementing what you’ve learned to help your business thrive online.
How To Rank High In Google Final Thoughts
Learning how to rank in Google doesn’t have to be difficult.
In fact, you don’t really need backlinks either to start ranking on the first page.
More than anything, Google desires high quality posts that satisfy a user’s search intent. If you haven’t yet, check out my favorite marketing tools that I use to run my business every day. If you’re interested, grab my #1 recommendation to build an online business here.
No matter where you’re at in your entrepreneurial journey, I wish you the best of success as you strive to grow your business with SEO and spread your message like wildfire to people that need to hear it.
I would appreciate you leaving a comment below and let me know your thoughts on the zero backlinking strategy!